Local Offer and Short Breaks

How to get access to a social worker

The below is taken from the Brent Local Offer website.

Access to social care/social workers

A key worker or social worker from the unit will offer an assessment or review your child’s care plan. They will identify if your child is eligible for services or if the services need to change.

These could include:

  • specialist or inclusive play schemes
  • residential short breaks
  • day care during weekends and holidays
  • extra care in the home.

If your family meets the criteria for social care support, the Children with Disabilities Team can support disabled children and young people with a learning disability and/or physical disability aged from birth up to 25 years old.

Experienced social workers or keyworkers work with children and young people, their parents/carers, as well as partner agencies to improve outcomes for children and young people who have a variety of needs.

Referral to the team can be made via the Brent Family Front Door (BFFD). When a referral is received, a worker from the team will undertake a specialist assessment to identify the needs of the family and build a support plan.

Needs are identified in three areas and arise from:

  • the child’s disability
  • parent/carer issues
  • the environment in which the family lives.

For those families where support around the family has been undertaken, a lot of this information will have already been gathered. The information that you provide and the information gathered by the Children with Disability Team, will enable the us to make a decision on whether the child or young adult is eligible for services and the level of service that is needed.

Parents/carers will also be offered a carers assessment to identify their specific needs as carers.

Age group

0 to 25 years old


Brent Civic Centre, Engineers Way, Wembley, HA9 0FJ,

Contact number

020 8937 4300





Total Views: 3638 ,